So I need to write occasionally in Spanish. I was using a Spanish keyboard and this had a specific accent key which when pressed appeared to do nothing. However if you followed that key stroke by pressing e, u, a etc then the letter just typed would appear as a single accented version of the same character!

Now I don't have access to this keyboard so am stuck on a keyboard within the ability to quickly write letters using the accents.

I know I could use a virtual keyboard or learn all the alt+xxx key combinations for individual accented letters but I´m hoping there is a way to access this key that I was pressing on the old keyboard.

Is this assumption wrong and if not what is the combination because whenever I search online for this I just find a whole list of all the individual key codes for each accented letter and I don't really want to try and memorise them all individually.


I think you're referring to the Extended keyboards.

[For Windows 10] Check your Region and language settings : Select the language in the list : Options button : Add a keyboard : United Kingdom Extended : Optionally remove the normal UK one.

You can then use Alt Gr (or Ctrl+Shift) as follows:

  • Alt Gr <vowel> → éíóú, etc
  • ` <vowel> → è, etc
  • Alt Gr+^ <vowel> → ê, etc
  • Alt Gr+" <vowel> → ë, etc
  • Alt Gr+~ <character> → ñ, etc

Windows 7 has a similar way of accessing the keyboards via the control panel.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.