On my Windows 10 computer when I try to open or save a document in Word 2016 I get the following error:
Windows cannot access \\SERVER1\RedirectedFolders\<username>\Desktop
You do not have permission to access \\SERVER1\RedirectedFolders\<username>\Desktop. Contact your network administrator to request access.
And it's true; in the Save or Open dialog box I cannot navigate to my Desktop or Documents folders. Also when I close Word 2016 without saving the document it locks up and shows "not responding" in the taskbar.
In the Options > Save screen I notice that my Default local file location and Server drafts location fields are empty, which isn't the case on another Windows 10 computer I use:
If I try to make any changes in this screen when I click OK I get the error:
The server drafts location you entered for offline editing is not valid or you do not have permission to access that location. Specify a location on your local computer.
If I click any of the Browse... buttons, for example to set the Default local file location, I get the same error as above that "Windows cannot access \\SERVER1\RedirectedFolders\<username>\Desktop" (it's always the Desktop folder mentioned).
I'm not having this problem in other programs. I can access my Desktop and Document folders just fine through File Explorer and other programs.
Why can't I access these folders in Word? How do I fix it?
- My Desktop and Document folders are redirected to one of our on-premise servers. They're also configured to be Available Offline.
- I'm running Word as part of Office 2016 Professional Plus. It's an MSI-based installation.
- I've tried a repair installation of Office, as well as uninstalling/reinstalling Office.
- I confirmed I have Full Control permissions to the Desktop and other redirected folders.
- Interestingly, this doesn't happen to another user account logged in to my computer (their folders are redirected too, but not available offline).
- Something else I found is that I cannot open the Signatures dialog in Outlook's Options > Mail screen. I click, but nothing happens.