In VS Code (or other IDE);
- add break point to first line of [app root]/ config/application.rb; require_relative 'boot'
- start debug.
- debugger should stop at breakpoint
- debugger continues without stopping
- NB: Any breakpoint further into execution of the Rails app fails to halt execution.
Looking at https://github.com/Shopify/bootsnap/issues/93, I believe this problem occurs due a combination of the following;
- new Ruby 2.5 feature "Remove
trace instructions" (https://bugs.ruby-lang.org/issues/14104)
- Rails 5.2 inclusion of bootsnap gem
NB: The same problem is occurring in other IDE's; - Jetbrains; https://youtrack.jetbrains.com/issue/RUBY-20684 - RubyMine; https://github.com/ruby-debug/ruby-debug-ide/issues/139
- Ruby version: ruby 2.5.1p57 (2018-03-29 revision 63029) [x86_64-darwin17]
- Rails version: 5.2.0
- ruby-debug-ide version: 0.6.1
- debase version: 0.2.2
- VS Code version: 1.22.2 (1.22.2)
- Operating System: macOS 10.13.4 (17E199)
- Hardware (optional): MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012) & MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2010)