I'm a student trying to create a Word template displaying comments on the left side of the page on even page number and on the right side on odd page number. I don't know if this is possible.


On the Layout tab, click the dialog box launcher in the lower-right corner of the Page Setup group. In the Page Setup dialog box, under Pages, in the Multiple pages field, select Mirror margins. Under Margins, you'll then probably also want to increase the Outside value, to give your comments more room.

In the Styles gallery on the Home tab, or in the Styles pane if you have that open, right-click whatever style you're using for your comments, and then click Modify. In the Modify Style dialog box, on the Format drop-down menu in the lower-left corner, click Frame. Under Text wrapping, Around should be selected automatically. Under Size, set the width that you want your comments to have within the outside margin that you set earlier. Under Horizontal, set the Position field to Outside, and the Relative field to Page. You'll probably also want to set a Distance from text value, so that your body text doesn't get too close to your comment text.

That's it. Here's an example.

enter image description here

  • But can we do this with the built-in comment function in Word. I didn't have access to the frame tab while my comment style was selected. – Matt Oct 16 '18 at 12:59
  • Oh, you meant Word's comment 'bubbles'? Sorry, I misunderstood. No, those always appear on the right, as far as I know. Because they aren't per se part of the page, they aren't affected by page layout settings such as mirrored margins, and a lot of settings that can be applied to other styles can't be applied to them – or else they can be applied but have no particular visible effect. – cnread Oct 16 '18 at 17:00

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.