Is there a way to fix blurry fonts in linux GUI applications when being run from WSL (Ubuntu 18.04) using the default Windows scaling? Things I have tried so far:
- Tried disabling Windows scaling and setting it from linux side using
GDK_DPI_SCALE=2.5, the problem with this is several things like context menu icons don't play nicely and are often not scaled. Without
GDK_DPI_SCALE=2.5, applications are basically unusable since the text is extremely tiny.
- Tried installing all the fonts from C:\Windows\Fonts to
C:\Program Files\Xming\fonts\TTFand running
mkfontscale, couldn't make it work this way either.
- Tried using VcXsrv, has the same issue.
- Comparison between emacs (WSL) and VS Code (Windows native)
All the resources I have looked up so far:
- Why are WSL GUI apps rendered with blurry fonts with Xming?: The answer here is specifically for just firefox and electron based applications.
- Gnome-Terminal blurry on Xming: Doesn't have anything helpful in particular either other than a suggestion to disable scaling and using something else than Xming.
- DPI issues running GUI programs on a 4K screen: Suggests using VcXsrv.
The main purpose of doing all this is to be able to run text editors(emacs)/IDE(Clion) from WSL. And, the reason I cannot install their windows equivalent is we develop only for linux.
Few system details:
4K (3840x2160) - 15.6"
Windows: Windows 10 Home v1803 Build: 17134.345
WSL: Ubuntu 18.04 (
Linux username 4.4.0-17134-Microsoft #345-Microsoft Wed Sep 19 17:47:00 PST 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)