If two monitors are not aligned on the top or bottom edge, is there a way to find out the value of the offset on either one of the edges? I want to do it without purely visual inspection using a screen ruler like jruler because I need it to be exact (+/- 0 pixels). I'm looking for an Win7 and up solution (those can be separate solutions as well, mainly I'm focused on Win7).

I have no problem with 3rd party applications, if it's not possible to do without, but I prefer "portable"ones (no installation needed).

To make sure what "offset" I'm referring to here's a screenshot in which the bottom and top offset of two monitors is marked (note: this is a Win10 screenshot).

visualize offset in monitor alignment


How about opening any conventional (rectangular window) application and moving it so that it straddles both monitors? If you care about top-of-window alignment, then move the app to the top of the screen.

  • Thanks for you're suggestion. I'm not sure what you mean? How does this tell me the length of the offset? – Albin Oct 28 '18 at 16:43
  • @Albin: Either measure the onscreen offset (like with a tape measure/ruler), or reposition the monitor(s) until it is aligned and then measure how far it moved. (Maybe I don't understand the question.) – wallyk Oct 28 '18 at 18:53
  • yeah, I'm already using jruler (see question), although it's possible to get an estimated measurement (+/- 2pixels) if find it rather cumbersome (because of shadows etc.), if you have a more "exact" method that's easy to apply please let me know. I guess I could switch to "classic" view, maybe that works better, but I rather have a solution which leaves the Windows settings intact. A screenshot would be good, so I know what you mean. – Albin Oct 28 '18 at 21:27

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.