Do combinations of sequential keystrokes, like CTRL+R,Z have any specific name?

The Wikipedia description does not call them anything:

Some keyboard shortcuts, including all shortcuts involving the Esc key, require keys (or sets of keys) to be pressed individually, in sequence. These shortcuts are sometimes written with the individual keys (or sets) separated by commas or semicolons.


A series of keystrokes can be called a macro:

A macro (short for "macroinstruction", from Greek μακρός 'long') in computer science is a rule or pattern that specifies how a certain input sequence (often a sequence of characters) should be mapped to a replacement output sequence (also often a sequence of characters) according to a defined procedure.

source from Wikipedia


I have heard them called keyboard shortcuts and keyboard combinations. Some applications use a single key to perform an action, such as F1 for help. In my opinion that is a shortcut. Using multiple keys at once, like CTRL+R,Z, would be a combination. They seem to be interchangeable though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.