I'm having a weird problem with one particular keyboard I happen to like. I tend to believe it's not of a physical nature (the keys seem to work in different combinations), but it's definitely a problem with this particular keyboard.
The keyboard is a Dell KB216, with English International layout.
- Left Shift + u does not produce anything (not expected), while Right Shift + u produces
- Right Shift + . does not produce anything (not expected), while Left Shift + . produces
The bug is consistent across:
- Windows 10,
- Ubuntu 18.04
- OS X 10.13
Edit: tested across different machines.
The bug is also consistent across multiple keyboard layouts, but I'm only interested in making its native layout work (of course, I wouldn't mind changing for one with a different name and same keys, as long as it would fix the problem - but I'm not going to use a layout with keys positioned elsewhere than what's written on the keys).
Regardless of stroke angle variations, stroke pressure variations or typing speed, none of the two bugged combos produces anything, even when tried multiple times in a row.
I'm fairly sure (99%) it's not a key malfunction (they work smoothly, effortlessly and flawlessly when not used in any of the two bugged combos).
The keyboard is fairly new (somewhere between 6 months and a year) and has been used extensively (I'm a programmer).
As far as I remember, there was no spillage and there was clearly no such incident over the past few days. I'd venture calling it "clean" for its age. The bug started to manifest 2-3 days ago.
Every single one of the four keys (Right Shift, Left Shift, u and .) works normally otherwise, when used alone or in combos (I tested Shift keys solo mode using sticky keys on Windows: they do work). In fact, even the buggy combos work with sticky keys - but I don't want to use Sticky keys! I want them to work normally.
While I could buy a new identical keyboard (I happen to like the keyboard's layout, feel and touch over significantly more expensive ones - and I'm quite picky about my hardware; I also love that it's wired - thus sparing me the trouble of charging and/or replacing batteries), I find the bug quite intriguing and I somehow doubt I'm the only soul on the planet to have experienced it.
Another possible "fix" would be to train myself to always use Right Shift when I want to write
U and always use Left Shift when I want to write
>, but it's more of a resign than a resolve.
None of the answers or comment suggestions of the following questions helped: