I saw several news articles about the YuibKey several years ago, and always thought the way it was shaped was really cool. Instead of requiring a box-shaped connection like normal USB-A, it is a single flat piece. I want a flash drive in this form factor, like this Verbatim drive or this Super Talent drive. It appears that Kingston made or makes a product in this form factor, but it's a SD reader not flash storage. Is there a name for this form factor that I can use while searching for a product like this?

  • 1
    It isn't a different or special form factor. It's just the guts of a USB-A connector without the shroud. – fixer1234 Nov 30 '18 at 8:56
  • 2
    As @fixer1234 says, yes, USB without a shroud, which violates USB specifications, because it exposes sensitive data signals to direct ESD events, while the shroud usually gets the ESD hit first protecting the data lines. So it is a bad idea to search and use these devices – Ale..chenski Dec 3 '18 at 1:08

There is no official or common name that I've ever seen referenced. A quick search shows that "caseless usb drive" and "usb drive exposed contacts|connector" gives you some hits on what you want.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    That's a shame. I was hoping for something a little more concrete, but this seems like the correct answer. Thanks for your help! – brndn2k Dec 3 '18 at 5:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.