I am running Windows 10 Home guest OS in a VirtualBox VM, on macOS host running 10.13.6 High Sierra with VirtualBox 5.2.23.
Audio worked a few times, then it stopped working. (A virtualbox version update or me tweaking settings might have caused this, I am not sure.) =
- I tried doing a clean install from ISO with all default Windows 10 settings on VirtualBox, no audio there, either.
- I tried another Mac I own (that one has macOS 10.14 Mojave installed), when I install the same image, with the same config, and with the same VirtualBox, it works there. (weird)
The guest OSes think there's audio available. But it just isn't playing on the host. Here's a screenshot from Volume Mixer:
Here's what I tried so far:
Different versions of VirtualBox
I suspect this might have happened (not sure) after upgrading VirtualBox, so I tried latest version 5.2.23, as well as some old versions like 5.2.14 and 5.2.18. No luck.
I tried Ubuntu Desktop (live CD), it also thinks audio is available. Differently than windows, when I try to play some video/audio on Firefox, the player actually never starts the video or audio. (weird)
- Windows Guest Additions are fully installed.
- Windows updates are all complete.
- I disabled driver signature verification
- I tried Sound troubleshooting, nothing came back.
dxdiagshows Sound is fine (says "No problems found" and device name is "Speakers (High Definition Audio Device):
Virtual Machine settings
Here's the settings I'm using:
I tried other paravirtualization settings like "None" or "Default" instead of Hyper-V but no luck.
Try another audio driver
Instead of Intel HD audio controller setting on VirtualBox, I tried using the ICH AC97 setting. So I installed the archaic Realtek AC'97 audio drivers for Vista/7 on Windows 10.
It successfully recognized the change, but still doesn't work:
Here's the VBox.log from the vm start-try-shutdown cycle: https://gist.github.com/ahmetb/be3b6eab2cd789196904696840576be0
Symptom: VM shutdown crashes VirtualBox
If I force-poweroff a VM from VirtualBox, the entire VirtualBox process crashes on macOS.