I'm using a ThunderBay 4 external enclosure as my main storage and backup unit. Recently I bought two 1TB Samsung EVO 860 SSD to improve performance of my data drives. I installed them using NewerTech adaptors and formatted them in RAID 0 using Disk Utility RAID assistant. (I already tried with OWC RAID software with same results)
So I have:
- The two first bays with the SSDs in RAID 0 (for data)
- The following two with 2TB HD in RAID 0 (for backups)
The problem is that I'm getting write speeds of around 100MB/s on the data RAID when I should be getting around 800MB/s.
Read speeds are as expected, around 750MB/s.
Without RAID, the same happens, I get around 500MB/s read speed but only 100MB/s write speeds.
Any idea of what could be causing this?
UPDATE: After trying with all available chunk sizes (from 32k to 256k) for the RAID, still getting the same results.
- Using 15" MacBookPro13,3 (2016)
- MacOS Mojave 10.14.1
- Measured with both BlackMagic Disk speed test and iStatus menus.
- Drives firmware revision: RVT01B6Q