I have a Git repo on a TFS2018 server. On my local env I have Visual Studio 2015 and Windows Git client version 2.20.0.windows.1 including git-lfs 2.6.1 installed. I tried the following:
- From Visual Studio, clone the repo
- Open a Word doc that's tracked in LFS, edit, save
- From Visual Studio, commit the change
- From Visual Studio, push to remote
- From the TFS web interface, download the Word doc
When I try to open the downloaded Word doc, I get an error saying the file is corrupted. When I subsequently try to clone the repo again, I also get an error saying "smudge filter lfs failed" for the file. This tells me that the LFS file was not correctly pushed to the remote.
However, if I do the exact same thing except using command line to push in step 4 instead of Visual Studio, I get no such errors -- I can open the downloaded Word doc and also clone the repo again successfully including the Word doc.
Is there a bug in Visual Studio 2015 when pushing LFS files to remote?