I’ve found some old external USB drives and drive enclosures. Some of them, I found the power bricks and cords for, others I haven’t, and a few have cords damaged sufficiently that they are unsafe to use. For the ones where the brick is missing or the cord damaged, can I purchase an "off-the-shelf" brick-and-cord system and use it successfully, provided that the brick’s output (both voltage and amperage) is equal to or higher than that required by the drive/drive enclosure, and that I have a compatible plug?

  • 1
    Provided the brick supplies the same voltage it should be fine. The brick can support higher amperage, but if a device attempts to draw more amperage then the brick can support, that can be a safety issue. You typically just want to use a power brick that can supply exactly the same power as the OEM brick. – Ramhound Jan 17 '19 at 16:29

Generally, yes, it would be okay to purchase a generic power supply for your device; there isn't a specific requirement that the device must have its original power brick/supply

When looking for a replacement power supply, the voltage provided by the supply must be approximately the voltage required by the device, although there is a tolerance, so usually it's no problem to e.g. supply a 5V device with 5.5V.

With regards to amperage/current, however, the device will only take what it needs.

  • So if I need to deal with devices that need 5V and devices that need 12V, I need two separate bricks? A single 12V brick risks damage to the 5V device? – Jeff Zeitlin Jan 17 '19 at 16:02
  • 2
    Yes, that's correct; voltage is pushed, amperage is pulled. If you plug a supply rated 12V into a device that accepts 5V, it will damage it. – Rowan Richards Jan 17 '19 at 16:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.