I would like to create a complete word template from scratch but so far I have only found scattered resources. I used to work in a company that had their template(s) set up including a custom ribbon.
I'd like to understand the proper use of:
- Styles, derived or liked etc.
- the 'Organizer' for word templates
- Designs / Themes including the selection of Colours and default fonts
- How do I save theme settings across the office products into the same Theme?
- the role of Building Blocks.dotx and Built-In Building Blocks.dotx
- apparently this is where Table of Content etc styles/designs are defined?
- how to distribute it using the Workgroups template folder option
- set-up of custom properties
- non-printable text for explanation or guidance
- Styles to set-up
- cover page
- numbered headings
- image and table numbering
- header and footer
- Index, TOC, list of figures (image/tables)
- general Do's and Don'ts would also be nice
I'm not looking for instructions how to copy a doc to dot file or perform a Save-As.
So far I've found some scattered useful tips here, here and elsewhere, however this is often too much fluff. Where can I find the (Microsoft?) resources getting to the nuts and bolts that explain how it should be done?