NOTE: After the introduction of SIP, this app does not work unless you disable it. Read more on how to do it, but it is ill-advised.
This app is just great, solved all my basic needs after switching from a windows platform like adding "New File" in context menu and finder toolbar, etc. Some of the features as listed on their website are -
XtraFinder add Tabs and features to Mac Finder.
• Tabs & Dual Panel.
• Arrange folders on top.
• Cut & Paste.
• Global hotkeys.
• "Copy Path", "Show Hidden Items", "Hide Desktop", "Refresh", "New File", "Copy to", "Move to", "New Terminal Here", "Make Symbolic Link", "Contents", "Attributes", … .
• Legacy label for OSX 10.9 & 10.10. Light text on dark background. Transparent window.
• Colorful icons in Sidebar.
• Size of selected items in Status Bar.
• Automatically adjust width of columns.
• Press Enter or Return to open selection.
• Display folder item count in List view.
• Middle-click to open folder in new window or new tab.
• Much more.
I use this app with OS X 10.9.5 and did not encounter any issues with it. It has native os x icon style which looks good on retina screens also. Here is a screenshot of my finder toolbar -
Ps. this app is also free!