I have created a .dmg of my Pictures library via Disk Utility in Recovery Mode as an emergency back up last night, before erasing my Macintosh HD. I did the same this for Documents and iTunes, all in separate .dmg files. Documents and iTunes mounted and opened just fine, and I recovered everything, but the Pictures .dmg gives me the "Corrupt Image" error when I try to open it:
I have tried using Disk Utility (no luck with mounting, verifying, converting or adding Checksum, all gives me the corrupted error)
I have tried:
- extracting DMG using 7Zip – not working
- converting it to another format like ISO – not converting
- opening DMG using Disk Drill – not opening
- opening DMG using Data Rescue – not opening
- the hdiutil and related commands through Terminal – nope
I have tried third-party apps, and it seems like they don't even 'see' the .dmg file due to its corruption.
Hope anyone can help or clarify if it's broken forever so I can stop trying to open it.