I'm facing a really strange problem. I have the following configuration:
- Ubuntu host with MySQL 5.7.25 Community edition running on it
- Windows 10 guest VM with ODBC 32 bit driver 3.51
- ssl tunnel from VM mapping the port 3306 from host to guest
- DBA user 'admin'@'localhost', which has all the privileges
- DB user 'mydb_user'@'localhost', which has all privileges only to mydb schema
I can connect to mydb using mysql workbench or command line from the guest VM without any issue as admin or mydb_user.
However, when I'm trying to configure DSN using MySQL ODBC 3.51 Driver, only admin account connects successfully. The mydb_user fails to connect with the message "Access denied for user 'mydb_user'@'localhost' (using password: YES)".
When I check the mysql logs it also shows 'Access denied' for this user. Even when I'm adding DBA grants to 'mydb_user' it doesn't help. Seems like something is different for 'admin' vs 'mydb_user' but I can't figure out what. Any hint would be much appreciated.
UPDATE. Interesting that only 32 bit driver has this issue. When I try to connect via MySQL ODBC 5.3 Unicode Driver 64 bit, all users are connecting without any problem.