(question initially asked on Server Fault, but marked to post here).
Before anything, I should confess that I am a true Network-Rooky. As a hobby project I have set up a few things across my house:
- A switch connecting all computers and server
- Windows Server (connected to the switch and the wan (separate NIC), running RAS to function as the gateway to the internet, DHCP and DNS (to catch one or two domains, for easy server access, the rest is forwarded to 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206)).
- A linksys router with dd-wrt for mobile access to the LAN (connected LAN to Switch, DHCP disabled, Local IP, Gateway and DNS pointing to server).
I made sure all IPv6 settings are disabled on all devices/protocols, by a tip of a colleague.
Now, the strange thing is, that when I connect a laptop to this access point, everything (seems) to work fine and as expected. But my phones (android) seem to have some trouble. Delayed webpages, sometimes not loading at all, chat programs not receiving messages sometimes.
I have tried a DNS Lookup tool on my phone, as I suspect the DNS being the problem. And indeed, when webpages stop loading the dns lookup wanders off to.. Unknown places. While an ip will give me the webpage.
I know this is probably a quite vague description, but then again it's a strange problem. I was hoping any of you had some pointers on where to start and debug this (I just don't know how to pinpoint the problem making googling it pretty difficult)?
If any more information is required please let me know, thanks in advance!
After more investigation, it seems like Android ignores the DNS all together (even when configured statically). When I run a NSLookup tool, I get nothing. When NSLookup to specifically my server/google/etc, I get a result right away.
I have tried to set-up the access point as router, with it's own subnet, server connected to the WAN. And then there is no problem anymore, but connecting it like this would be completely pointless...
As requested an overview of IP address as they where at the moment of the issue:
- Windows Server (2012 R2):
- LAN (bridged) 10.0.0.1 (255.0.0.0)
- WAN 192.168.1.10 (255.255.255.0) Gateway: 192.168.1.1
- Clients (via DHCP): 10.0.1.x (255.0.0.0) Gateway 10.0.0.1, DNS 10.0.0.1
- AccessPoint: 10.0.0.15 (255.255.255.0)
- Enable DNS Dynamic updates: yes (always)
- Discard A and PTR records when lease is deleted: yes
- Lease time: 1 day
- Forwarders: 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
- Scope options:
- Router: 10.0.0.1
- DNS Servers: 10.0.0.1, 22.214.171.124
- Name Servers: 10.0.0.1