I recently replaced the mobo on an out-of-warranty dell optiplex 9020. I then tried to update the BIOS to latest. When I run the BIOS update exe file, I get a message saying "Cannot Update a Optiplex 7020 with a Optiplex 9020 BIOS". So I realised that the mobo came with its own Service Tag, Express Service code, and is also identifying itself as a 7020. In order to change the service tag, I've tried:
Asset utility just says "check format of tag, and remove setup password". I dont have any passwords set in BIOS.
I tried the CMOS battery removal for 10min method. No difference
I used the /f flag with the update exe, still can't force the update
- I learnt of a 'svctag' exe, but can't find it. Same for a serviceTag program on Linux.
- Tried Dell CCTK and Dell Command Configure utility -it only allows changing asset tag.
- There was a method talking about using /writehdrfile with the BIOS update exe, but it doesn't take that command option
- There is a jumper method for RTCST - but I'm not sure if it will reset service tag, haven't tried it yet.
So, any ideas on what else can be tried?
- I have the Hiren Boot CD - unfortunately the options to update Flash in UniFlash are disabled for some reason.
- Is there a way to use HBCD and edit the BIOS with a hexeditor?
- how do i extract the BIOS update file from the exe?
- Is there a way to change the system id and get the mobo to identify itself as a 9020?
thanks in advance