My home desktop pc supports 4 monitors. My work laptop supports 4 monitors. When I work from home, switching all the cables is a pain in the butt.
What I'd would like to do is:
- plug monitors 1&2 into a USB dual monitor display adapter
- plug monitors 3&4 into a different USB dual monitor display adapter
- connect the display adapters to a powered USB 3 hub
- connect keyboard and mouse to the same hub
- connect the hub to a USB A/B switch
- connect the A/B switch to each computer
This would be, in effect, a 2 port 4 monitor KVM switch.
My question is: Would this work?
I can get the display adapters, hub, and switch for about $150 but I don't want to spend that much money to find out I'm an idiot.
Or, do you know of an alternative that isn't $500?