tldr; When I reset my Google Chrome theme to default, and restart my browser, the title/tab bars take on a dark theme and I can't figure out why. I think there is some kind of hidden settings/profile location I can't find
I'm on macOS Mojave 10.14.5, using Google Chrome latest (currently
Version 74.0.3729.169 (Official Build) (64-bit)) and I'm having an issue where, for my main user profile, no matter what I do I can't seem to reset Chrome to it's default theme/styling. It always appears as a dark titlebar & tabs
I'm not running macOS dark mode at all (for Chrome, or by default). I'm looking for some other suggestions on what I can do to get the titlebar to display "normal" again (light mode), because I've tried everything I can think of.
My title bar shows up as below:
The default, however, is supposed to show up as below:
I can can get my titlebar to show up like it's supposed to, by doing:
- Going to the theme store & installing a theme
- Going into Chrome settings, and choosing "Reset theme"
However, this only persists until the next time I restart Google Chrome.
This only occurs on my personal laptop, it doesn't occur on other computers I'm using that I've synced my Google Preferences to.
Other things I've tried:
- Signing out of my Google Chrome sync
- Completely deleting & reinstalling Google Chrome and attempting to delete all of the related preferences & settings files
- And everything chrome-related in ~/Library/Preferences
- Toggling macOS dark mode off & on again
defaults write com.google.Chrome NSRequiresAquaSystemAppearance -bool Yes(and trying it w/ No & resetting to default)
- Deleting the folder with all the Google Apps
- Using the "reset settings to their original defaults" setting in Chrome
- Deleting Chrome with AppCleaner (which found some referenced folders in /var/ and other locations)
- Disabling GPU acceleration
- Deleting everything Google related from all locations in all the directories noted here
- Creating a new Chrome profile
- Resetting all
- Trying Google Chrome Canary (it also inherits this dark theme/style)
- Disabling dark mode on mobile Chrome (even though this shouldn't matter, because I've tried disabling sync previously, and deleting & reinstalling chrome and all associated folders I can find while disconnected from the internet)
- Running the cleaning & optimization scripts via Onyx
- Running the cleaning & optimization scripts from Clean My Mac. Deleting using the Clean My Mac uninstaller
- Resetting settings under advanced option in Google Chrome
- Restarting Chrome & rebooting my computer after trying all of the above
I created another profile on this computer, logged in, and started Google Chrome and it worked as expected/desired (light tabs). For the life of me, I can't figure out what I may have missed on my profile that could be interfering with the title bar/tab color.
I've also tried toggling dark mode while Chrome is open; the theme changes between modes but it still has a dark looking theme when in light mode (per the screenshot above). It's like there's a theme persisted that I can't rid of
I'v found a workaround (using a theme that mirrors the default) but at this point I'm interested in determining the root cause, without completely nuking my profile.
I'm at a loss of what the cause could be so any other suggestions on how I can troubleshoot or triage are appreciated.