I was writing a document.

It should have headings like these

enter image description here

I have searched it on YouTube, but I could not find any way to accomplish this. How are they made?

  • 8
    the image is revealing too much info .. you should mask sensitive data
    – Nigel Fds
    Jun 24, 2019 at 2:59

1 Answer 1


What you are calling a ribbon, is really a background shading on a paragraph. What you are asking for, is very easy to do.

  1. Select the text, including the paragraph mark.
  2. From the Paragraph group on the Home tab of Word's ribbon, use the Borders menu button to select the Format Boarders and Shading control.

enter image description here

  1. From the Shading tab on the Borders and Shading dialog, select the Fill Color to use and make sure the Apply to: menu is set to "Paragraph."

enter image description here

  • 4
    Easier: Place the caret anywhere in the paragraph you want to give a background colour to, and then simply click the arrow next to the bucket icon immediately to the left of the icon in Rich's answer. [But of course, if you have more than a single paragraph like this in your document, you really should create a style for it. That style likely contains other properties in addition to the background colour: margins, style of the following paragraph, etc.] Jun 23, 2019 at 20:06
  • You can also use Patterns instead of a Fill. If you pick clear and 10-15%, you get a nice gray bar. I've seen Fills render with a moire pattern but never a Pattern. Jun 23, 2019 at 20:16

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .