I have had this .Net exe ( using MSScriptcontrol to run VB Scripts) working fine on Windows 10 Ent and previous versions for almost 20 years. Last week, I noticed that it slowed down. I checked Task Manager and noticed Windows Defender Anti malware kicks in chokes this .exe.
Upon disabling Defender temporarily, program worked fine. Upon further digging I found real time protection is the real issue and I put Defender on but Real time protection off and it worked fine. Later I thought of putting exclusions rather than completely shutting off real time protection. However, after putting exclusions of all kinds ( did put exe name , folder, assembly types); there was 40% improvement but it never went back to its original processing speed. Somewhere I read that exclusions excludes from scanning but not from real time protection process.
In current work environment, IT department controls these policies but as a developer I do hold SU account and was able to try these options.
Current platform is Windows 10 Enterprise Ver 1809, 17763.557 build)