I have two versions of R on my computer; I want to set the file association (default app) for .Rdata file to the older version of R. For this, I was looking to change the path of the R program used to open the .Rdata files, but I don't see how to do it in the "Choose default apps by file type" dialog - see the screenshot:

enter image description here

How can I set the program path for default openning of .Rdata files?

  • Right-click any RData file in Windows Explorer, click Open With, then Browse and choose the R .exe in the R folder under Program Files. Ensure that "Always Use This Program" is checked. – harrymc Jul 4 at 11:06
  • thanks @harrymc, but 1) for unknown reason this doesn't work for me... I will look up the 3.5.1 R .exe, but the application that is launched is still the 3.6.0 version of R! Not sure what is going on here.... 2) is there a way to look at the original program path which is set right now? This was possible in Win XP if I remember well (don't understand why they complicated it in Win 10) – Tomas Jul 4 at 11:19
  • 1
    Use regedit and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rdata. – harrymc Jul 4 at 13:26
  • @harrymc, ok, but there is no path there. The value is just "RWorkspace" without any path. And the directory with binaries isn't in %PATH%. – Tomas Jul 4 at 15:59
  • 1
    Go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RWorkspace and you will find the info in a sub-key. – harrymc Jul 4 at 16:11

Here is the general procedure for finding the executable handling a given file-extension, for example .rdata:

  • Use regedit first and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.rdata
  • If the .exe file is specified, all is fine. Else note the (Default) value, which here was "RWorkspace"
  • Continue to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\RWorkspace. The executable will be found in a sub-key (which is probably called Shell).
  • Amazing, thanks! – Tomas Jul 6 at 10:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.