I'm using Windows 10 Pro. I was looking for ways to increase performance and I came across some postings on MSCONFIG. I navigated to the option Boot/Advanced Options/Number of Processors. When I checked it, I saw that I could change the number from 1 to 8. I did so and rebooted. Now, when I boot I get in an endless loop of Windows Automatic Repair telling me that I have a configuration error and "Attempting Repairs". I'd like to change the Processors back from 8 to 1. When I choose Advanced Options \ Troubleshoot \ Advanced Options I receive a menu of choices.
- Menu Options
- When I select "System Restore \Restore Point" for a few selections I get the message "System Restore did not complete successfully. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x800070003)"
- When I select "Go back to the previous version" I receive the message "We ran into a problem and won't be able to take you back to the previous version of Windows."
- When I select "System Image Recovery" I receive the message "Windows cannot find a system image on this computer."
- When I select "Start Repair" I get an error with that as well.
I've also taken the following steps already.
- Other Steps:
- Windows with Command Prompt (It Boots from drive X", and the original drive "C" is now "E")
- net user administrator /active:yes
- CD E:\Windows\System32\config MSCONFIG (I Receive the error: "You do not have sufficient privileges to run System Configuration. Please run this utility as a user in the Administrators group."
- CD E:\Windows\System32\config ICACLS E:\Windows\System32\config*.* /INHERITANCE:r /GRANT:r Administrator:(F) /F /C
- (I point to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE)
- File / Load Hive
- (I Navigate to) E:\Windows\system32\config\SOFTWARE
- (I receive the message "SOFTWARE You don't have permission to open this file. Contact the file owner or an administrator to obtain permission")
How can I change the number of processor settings when I'm in Windows Automatic Repair?