Problem: BIOS supervisor password that is forgotten.
Model: Aspire E5-571G
Architecture: 64 bit
OS: Win 10
Motherboard: Acer EA50_HB(U3E1)
BIOS.ver: Insyde Corp.V1.32, 15.09.2015(latest)
SKU: Aspire E5-571G_0867_V1.32
BIOS Mode: UEFI
Experience with BIOS: Close to zero, and I also don't happen to have handy hardware programmer tools for this purpose at hand.
What I have done so far:
- Entered a wrong password three times, getting a code and putting it into online generators
(50648485 → 45720401)
- Downloaded Acer Empowering Technology+Acer eSettings Management for password drop (Deprecated software last developed for win XP that obviously didn’t work on win 10)
- Tried to boot USB with clnpnwd (boot menu on F12 or del is disabled in BIOS it seems), also tried to remove the HDD to force USB boot but ended up with “No boot device”
- Disassembled the whole device to see a soldered CMOS battery at the very bottom knowing that: a) I don’t have much experience soldering (though I do have a knowledgeable neighbor)
b) a reset might not work in this particular case because of EEPROM (from what I have read).
- Flashed latest BIOS from Acer website modifying platform.ini [Force Flash] part "Password=0" to "Password=1" (Nothing changed)
Things to try from my head:
- Acer seems to refuse to assist customers with BIOS password issues(backdoor key) unless you send the laptop to them and pay a $100 fee (I live in a squat eating freegan stuff with zero dollars in my pocket).
- Swap HDD to another one with clnpnwd on it (no spare HDD atm)
- Flash some custom BIOS (pure blind black magic), but according to my limited research it doesn’t exist for this model and I don’t even know if it would help.
- BIOS recovery as stated on BIOS mods website in the “Insyde BIOS Recovery” but
a) tools from “paragraph 3” mentioned there do not exist
b) I have BDW.fd and HSW.fd in my BIOS folder from acer (extracted from temp folder) and it seems only 1 is needed
c) I am not sure it is in any way related to the password issue
- Reserved for suggestions because so far I am out of ideas but I truly believe it is possible to accomplish without working as a coitus-slave to pay acer.
I would be incredibly grateful for any help provided.
P.S If there is documentation/book/manual/whatever to read and it contains something you don't want to explain [but is useful] in solving the problem feel free to link/post the name of the literature/etc. and I will do my best to acquire new knowledge to increase my competence.