I bought 3 old DVD drives that were used in servers 20 years ago.
When plugging one of them into a PCI card on my Windows PC :
- It powers up
- The BIOS of my PCI card says "Not a Disk Drive" which seems abnormal
- When Windows boots successfully, I see the drive in Device Manager
However I face several issues :
- the DVD drive makes a repetitive noise, like it is trying to read something
- On boot, I often face Black screen of death (with white mouse)
- I am able to boot on Safe Mode, but Windows lags. It stops lagging when the drive stops its repetitive noise (see above).
These problems happen with all 3 drives, so they are not hardware-faulty.
I think this is a firmware problem : how do I confirm this ? How could I see logs of errors happening between Windows and my drive to further diagnose ?