I tried the solution here https://superuser.com/a/1346983/64729 and also https://www.opentechguides.com/how-to/article/windows-10/43/win10-change-account.html

Login to the system as an user who is in the administrator group. It should be a different user from the one that you are trying to change.

Open File Explorer and navigate to C:\Users folder. Rename the old folder corresponding to the old user account

But I am not even able to rename the folder.

I shut down, restart and login as the other Administrator, and it says the folder is still open and will not allow me to rename it.

enter image description here

  • Simplest method would be to link a MS account to the local profile then unlink the MS account and when prompted for a local profile name to provide a new name.
    – Ramhound
    Sep 3 '19 at 1:32
  • @Ramhound how does one unlink an MS account without removing it? see answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/…
    – likejudo
    Sep 3 '19 at 17:45
  • You can't; My method requires unlinking the MS account in order to create a new local profile, which will result in the creation of a new user profile (provided a new username is selected). However, you can link the MS account, once you have created the new local profile. My suggested method takes less then 3 minutes (plus the time to log back into the profile).
    – Ramhound
    Sep 3 '19 at 18:35

Most likely (but untested here) reason is that the folder is being guarded/accessed is its designation as a profile folder. The tutorial from TenForums edits the HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList\<*User SID*> path before renaming the folder.


A simpler way to fix Microsoft's mess is to create a hard directory link.

CMD as admin:

mklink /J C:\Users\myful C:\Users\MyFullName

The user folder myful will still be there, but you can ignore it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.