Several references describe using Alt combined with numeric keys (with NumLock on). Other references suggest using the
United States International keyboard layout.
- Keyboard is UK (the US layout switches some keys)
- Laptop is a small without a NumPad
Are there other key combinations or can I create key combinations that perform the same thing?
On uBuntu 18.04 the following sequence works (using ü as an example - that was copied from the Windows
Character Map which is an alternative, though less convenient, option):
- AltGr + Shift (these can be released)
- Shift + " (these can be released)
- the character you want an umlaut on ie. u
This does not work on Windows, although assigning such key combinations on Windows would be great (if this is possible).