When saving to an existing file in the shared folder, the following error prompt is displayed every time.
Delayed Write Failed
Windows was unable to save all the data for the file
\<server-url>\DavWWWRoot\hello_world.txt. The data has been lost. This error may be caused by a failure of your computer hardware or network connection. Please try to save this file elsewhere
The error indicates that a network fault may be the cause, but I can create, read, and delete files fine.
A WAN accessible mapped network drive in Windows 10
WebDAV seems to fulfill this goal, but I am open to alternatives.
- Server with Kubuntu 19.x, running Apache's
dav_fsmodule to serve the filesystem.
- Client machine running Windows 10.
- The shared file system is visible in WebDAV clients, and was able to be mapped as a drive in the client.
- Create, Read, and Delete are functional. Update is not.
- Both client and server are personal computers which I have full access to.
- Both computers are currently on a (wired) LAN connection
- When connecting to the share via a client like BitKinex, I was also not able to overwrite the contents of a file, but no error was given.
- Windows still shows the updated content when I close and re-open the text document in notepad
- The shared folder on the server is at
/var/www/share. It is owned by the
www-datagroup that Apache runs under. I'm not well versed with file and folder permissions though, so I might have made a mistake
- The output of
ls -l /var/www/...for the share folder and it's contents is
drwxrwsr-x+ 3 www-data www-data 4096 Sep 5 08:22 share
-rw-rw-r--+ 1 www-data www-data 0 Sep 5 08:21 hello-world.txt
- The output of
If you have any suggestions or alternatives (i.e. a method of mapping SFTP shares as a network drives), I'd like to hear them.