I have a Samsung PM983 2.5" SSD drive but I have never seen a connector like this.

Would like to use it but unsure of what I need to connect.

Can anyone assist?

2.5 inch SSD

  • 1
    @Criggie, yes. Sep 14, 2019 at 3:42
  • 1
    @BrockAdams that image is worthy of being in an answer.
    – Criggie
    Sep 14, 2019 at 3:53
  • @Criggie, go for it if you want. Sep 14, 2019 at 4:04

3 Answers 3


It's a U.2 interface, formerly known as SFF-8639.

U.2 can be used for SATA Express, SAS, or Enterprise PCIe. As far as I can see, the 2.5" U.2 version of the Samsung PM983 is only available as PCIe. In this case, it'd be possible to adapt to M.2 (NVMe only) or a PCIe x4 card.

  • 1
    I believe you meant to say "should". I've tried to look around, and there doesn't seem to be any reliable information about converting from U.2 to M.2 (but there's lots to go from M.2 to U.2). Sep 13, 2019 at 16:49
  • 2
    @IsmaelMiguel SU doesn't do shopping recommendations, but they do exist.
    – Jason
    Sep 13, 2019 at 17:33
  • :/ my google-fu must be rusty. But that is an interesting find. Sep 13, 2019 at 21:43
  • @IsmaelMiguel EDIT: Was gonna say I will PM you the card I recommend but forgot you can't PM on here...I had much better luck getting a card that converted it directly to PCIe instead of that cable + adapter combo. Unfortunately, all the companies you will come across are pretty obscure/slightly shady. Sep 16, 2019 at 22:10
  • @ScottSimontis I was actually looking for examples to compliment the answer, not to buy for myself. I can't afford that type of tech :( Sep 16, 2019 at 22:21

Per this table on the Samsung website, all PM983 drives use the PCIe Gen3 x4 interface which I believe is a data centre blade interface. I don't believe you can plug this into a desktop PC with a regular SATA style cable.

enter image description here

  • 4
    Correct, essentially a M.2 NVME conector in a different form-factor. Samsung also makes these same drives in the regular M.2 form-factor.
    – Tonny
    Sep 12, 2019 at 14:20
  • 8
    Is this also called U.2?
    – Eddie Dunn
    Sep 12, 2019 at 15:14
  • 1
    @EddieDunn Yes it is. rog.asus.com/articles/hands-on/… Sep 12, 2019 at 15:31
  • 5
    It’s strange that this Samsung table is so useless, the formfactor does not specify the m.2 size/height and the interface column does not mention u.2
    – eckes
    Sep 13, 2019 at 7:42

SAS (serial attached SCSI) in a form factor partially compatible with SATA



p.s. it is partially compatible w/ SATA in a sense that a SAS host can run a SATA disk, but not the other way round.

  • 3
    This is not correct. While mechanically compatible with the SAS connector, this a PCIe U.2 connector, as the other answers mention.
    – Nate S.
    Sep 13, 2019 at 23:11
  • mea culpa. Didn't look at few more pins.
    – fraxinus
    Sep 15, 2019 at 12:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .