I have a rather old computer rig and the fan on my trusty old Zotac GeForce 8800GT broke down. I hacked a 120mm fan onto the GPU heatsink and it is actually cooling enough, but I know that it is not future proof.
My friend had a Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 laying around unused, which I have bought from him. But when I install the 7950 with dual 6-pin PCI-e extra power, as soon as I turn on the power the PSU emits a high pitch noise. The computer POST's and I can go to the BIOS menu and even boot to Windows 10, but the noise is headache-inducing and I'm pretty sure the PSU is not liking it very much.
I'm pretty sure the PSU is good enough powered, but hey why don't I ask the trusty people at SuperUser. I don't have an extra +500W PSU laying around to test with, which would be the correct way, and as the whole rig is so old, I don't think I'm gonna buy a new PSU for it. I guess I just want your expertise on how bad the noise problem is for the PSU and if there is any setting or anything that I can do to remove the noise problem and make sure everything is stable.
Update 1 It's pretty unstable and sometimes just turns off. When it does this, I cannot start it from the power button. I have to turn off the power supply, wait some seconds and then turn it on again. Something's not right ... If I try to change BIOS settings and then save, it immediately turns off!
Update 2 Okay... Put in the old GeForce again, and it's also being killed. This time round Windows boot time. FFS, I need a new PSU! Any suggestions on what would be good for this old machine, but with regards to if I'm going to build a new rig, I could use the same PSU?
My rig (stand back, please...):
- Cabinet: Antec Sonata II
- PSU: Antec Earthwatts EA-500D 500W -
- DC Max outputs: +5V 24A; +3,3V 24A; +12V1 22A; +12V2 22A; -12V 0,9A; +5VSB 2,5A
- Max load: +5V, 3,3V: 130W; +12V1, +12V2: 408W
- Motherboard: Asus P5KC - https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P5KC/
- CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3000 MHz Wolfdale
- RAM: 2x Corsair 2GB 800MHz DDR2 CM2X2048-6400C5DHX XMS2-6400 1,8V 5-5-5-18
- GPU: Zotac GeForce 8800GT Amp! edition 512MB DDR3 HDCP OC SPDIF D/D/TV
- GPU (new): Sapphire AMD Radeon HD7950 3GB GDDR5 PCI-E HDMI/DVI-I/Dual mini * DisplayPort - P/N 299-1E207-000SA - SKU# 11196-00
- 256 GB SSD Samsung 840Pro
- 250 GB HDD Western Digitial WD Caviar SE WD2500 SATA
- 1000 GB HDD Samsung HD103SJ - S/N S246J90B856915 SATA