As the title states I've recently started experiencing various tears, glitches and signal losses on my external displays when trying to work on my work laptop (Lenovo ThinkPad L380 Yoga, video here). The issues got bad enough to render external monitor work impossible.
The things I have tried to narrow down / eliminate the problem:
- two different external monitors
- tried different HDMI cables, conected both to:
- laptop's own HDMI port
- HDMI port of a USB-C dock
- a VGA connector (through dock)
- different OS (Windows 10, and Ubuntu 18.04)
- double checked the graphics drivers, chipset drivers and BIOS are updated to their latest versions as per Lenovo's website
- attempted to do a clean Windows install
- set various refresh rates and modes for the external displays
None of those measures managed to eliminate the problem. I suspect the issue lies somewhere in the chipset itself, or the video card hardware. Unfortunately the laptop is out of warranty, and currently we have no replacemetns available at work so I would like to elliminate all alternatives before we send it out to repair. Hence the question:
How likely is it to be a hardware fault? If not, what other possible causes of the problems are there and what can I try to remedy them?