PC wouldn't POST yesterday. I notice my USB speakers are flickering and a small external media HDD is clicking.
Unplugged all the USB devices, and it worked, so plugged 'em all in again.
A few hours later I notice my backup external HDD isn't showing. Unplug it, try to plug it in again. I fumble around trying to get it in the USB port, and whenever the USB plug touches the outside of the port, one of my monitors (display port) flickers (partial static/artifacts) and turns off for a moment. Other monitor (HDMI) not affected.
HDD didn't work last night, but have tried it again this morning and it's working. Have done a few more experiments - touching the outside of the port (or even the metal I/O plate at the back) with the powered external HDD USB plug results in flickering. Same result if I do this with my speaker USB plug as well. With the front plate, the minor symptoms above appear - if I do this with the back plate, this can result in the Display Port monitor receiving a black signal for an extended period of time, which resolves when I unplug and plug it in again.
Some things to note:
- Have recently taken my PC travelling to a LAN, but ensure it travelled on its side to reduce stress on mobo
- Graphics card (purchased 6 mo ago) seems to sit high in the slot, resulting in the HDMI/DP plugs bumping into the PC case when being plugged in, and not going all the way in. Potentially the metal of the plug was touching the case. Reseated, tilted the card down slightly, and I believe the metal plugs are no longer touching case.
- Recently did some cable management for my desk, essentially cable-tieing everything (power cables included), however the bundle sits in an area that gets lots of sun - an issue?
I'm unsure if this is a recent issue, or simply one I haven't noticed given that I rarely unplug any of these USB devices.
Specs GA-H170-D3HP motherboard i7 7700 RTX 2010 16GB 2333 RAM Problem HDD: Seagate 4GB external Problem speaker: Logitech G560
- Is this a big issue?
- How should I resolve it? Things to investigate, etc.
- Is it safe to continue using this computer and these devices until resolved? Do I risk damage by doing so?