As a result:
- In case of turning on, fan starts working for a few seconds and stops. Nothing appears, nothing sounds.
- In case of unplugging power cable, it produces a short beep sound.
Then I inserted my old
T3000 processor bunt did not lock it in the socket and tried to run the laptop. As a result, it reproduced situation with
Then I've borrowed not supported by my GM45 chipset processor:
T7500. I inserted it into my laptop's socket and ran it.
As a result:
Bios appeared and then with a beep or two displayed:
CPU = 1 Processors Detected. Cores per Processor = 2 Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Duo CPU T7500 @ 2.20GHz ..... 02F0: CPU ID: FB No Microcode Update Loaded for Alternate Processor Press <F1> to resume, <F2> to Setup
I could load Ubuntu, but only in text mode. Tried different kernels: generic, lowlatency, liquorix, xanmod. Only cursor on the black screen appeared on tty7. Ubuntu's intel microcode was the last version.
It is because of it doesn't support GM45 chipset:
Intel Core 2 Duo T7500 (Socket P) chipset compatibility
A list of compatible chipsets is based on CPU support lists, published on our website.
Intel GL960 Express Intel GME965 Express
Intel GM965 Express Intel PM965 Express
Specifications Steppings Model / Part Cores Threads Frequency FSB L2 Cache TDP C0 E0 M0 R0 Core 2 Duo P8700 2 2 2.533 GHz 1066 MHz 3MB 25W + Celeron T3000 2 2 1.8 GHz 800 MHz 1MB 35W + Core 2 Duo T7500 2 2 2.2 GHz 800 MHz 4MB 35W + +
$ sudo dmidecode partial output:
BIOS Information Vendor: LENOVO Version: 18CN45WW(V2.54) Release Date: 05/05/2010 Address: 0xE5560 Runtime Size: 109216 bytes ROM Size: 2048 kB System Information Manufacturer: LENOVO Product Name: 20023 Version: Lenovo G550 Serial Number: 2369531200637 UUID: 0738b57a-69c6-11df-9934-88ae1d2ebdbb Wake-up Type: Power Switch SKU Number: Lenovo Family: Lenovo BIOS Revision: 0.69 Firmware Revision: 0.53 Handle 0x0002, DMI type 2, 15 bytes Base Board Information Manufacturer: LENOVO Product Name: NITU1 Version: REFERENCE Serial Number: CBG2857851
$ sudo hwinfo | grep Chipset (I deleted unnecessary data from output):
E: ID_MODEL_FROM_DATABASE=Mobile 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller <6>[ 7.202904] pci 0000:00:00.0: Intel GM45 Chipset
Why the laptop with
P8700 processor could not display bios and shuts down as if its CPU is not properly installed? (Actually, I don't know if it dead or not now)
- Laptop is working on T3000. OS could be loaded and works correctly.
- Turned it off, removed T3000 and properly inserted P8700. It starts and stops without beeps and nothing is displayed on the screen.
- Removed P8700 and inserted T3000. It starts and works as before, loading the OS with graphics.
- Removed T3000 and inserted P8700. It starts and stops without beeps and displays nothing.
- Removed P8700 and inserted T3000 without locking it. It starts and stops without beeps and displays nothing.
- Locked T3000. It starts and works as before loading the OS with graphics.
- I borrowed unsupported T7500. Removed T3000 and inserted T7500. It starts with beeps and displays:
02F0: CPU ID: FB No Microcode Update Loaded for Alternate Processor. Ubuntu is loaded but without graphics.
- Removed T7500 and inserted T3000. Started without beeps, but Ubuntu loaded without graphics this time.
- Upgraded video drivers and rebooted. Ubuntu loaded with graphics as before and works correctly now.
- Friend inserted P8700 into his laptop. It is supported by his chipset. It starts, then stops, then starts again, but nothing was displayed on the screen - only battery and power indicators light.