Hi I have a PC with a proxy internet connection. When I use for example flutter it needs to download some dependencies by sock connection. How can I set a global configuration for my PC to use socks connection to internet? Thanks
Windows' basic proxy settings in "Network and Internet" don't seem to actually allow setting a SOCKS proxy explicitly.
To set a SOCKS proxy (SOCKS4 or SOCKS5, I believe) on Windows 10:
- Take note of your public IP address by searching Google for "my ip" (open this in a new tab and keep it open)
Internet Options(either by searching in the start/search bar, or through
Network and Internet>
- Open the
Connectionstab and click
Uncheck "Use the same proxy server for all protocols", remove all proxy addresses except for "Socks", and replace the Socks address/port with that of your server:
- Click OK on the Proxy Settings window, OK on the LAN Settings window, and Apply on the Internet Properties window. All connections should now be going through your SOCKS proxy. Double check by again searching Google for "my ip" and comparing to your original external IP address (this should now show the IP address of your SOCKS5 server)
Credit to https://windowsreport.com/windows-10-socks5-proxy-settings/ for getting me pointed in the right direction, after trying the suggestions on this page
If you use Windows 10, follow the steps below to set proxy:
Click Network & Internet.
In the Manual Proxy Setup section, set the Use a Proxy Server switch to On.
In the Address field, type the IP address.
In the Port field, type the port.
Click Save; then close the Settings window.
There is 4 main types of proxy:
- HTTP — allows to visit web-sites and download files from HTTP.
- HTTPS — also called SSL proxies. With these proxies you can view HTTP and HTTPS sites.With special software they may be used with any protocol like SOCKS proxies.
- Socks 4 — can be used with any TCP/IP protocol with any destination address and port..
- Socks 5 — you may also use UDP protocol, make DNS requests, und use BIND function for port forwarding.
The only way I was able to set a socks proxy in windows 10 was via Internet Explorer.
Search for and run the Internet Explorer App.
From the Tools menu click on Internet Options. Click on the Connections tab. Click the "LAN settings" button. Add a check to the "Use a proxy server for your LAN" if its not already checked. Click on the Advanced setting Uncheck the box for "Use the same proxy server for all protocols" if it's checked. Set your SOCKS server here and clear the fields for all the other proxy types. Click OK, click OK, click OK, and now your system is configured to use a SOCKS proxy.