0

I am a TPG fibre customer in Australia and have recently tried replacing my Huawei HG630 modem/router(supplied by TPG over 5 years ago) with my own recently purchased Netgear DM200 on the recommendation of the tech who visited to troubleshoot my connection issues recently.

My previous configuration was

USG with WAN set to PPPoE -> HG630 bridge mode -> phone line to fibre in basement

When I simply plug that device's LAN port 1 into USG, it brings up a successful PPPoE interface and with logs like:

Mar 14 11:18:58 jSecure zebra[753]: interface eth0 index 2 changed <UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST>.
Mar 14 11:18:58 jSecure kernel: eth0: 100 Mbps Full duplex, port 0
Mar 14 11:18:58 jSecure pppd[11852]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure pppd[14927]: Connected to 78:da:6e:de:df:d4 via interface eth0
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure pppd[14927]: Connect: ppp0 <--> eth0
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure zebra[753]: interface ppp0 index 8 <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,MULTICAST> added.
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure zebra[753]: interface ppp0 mtu changed from 1500 to 1492
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure pppd[14927]: PAP authentication succeeded
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure pppd[14927]: peer from calling number 78:DA:6E:DE:DF:D4 authorized
Mar 14 11:19:00 jSecure zebra[753]: warning: PtP interface ppp0 with addr 118.208.97.12/32 needs a peer address
Mar 14 11:19:01 jSecure zebra[753]: interface index 8 was renamed from ppp0 to pppoe0
Mar 14 11:19:01 jSecure pppd[14927]: local  IP address 118.208.97.12
Mar 14 11:19:01 jSecure pppd[14927]: remote IP address 10.20.22.121
Mar 14 11:19:01 jSecure zebra[753]: interface pppoe0 index 8 changed <UP,POINTOPOINT,RUNNING,NOARP,MULTICAST>.
Mar 14 11:19:05 jSecure ntpd_intres[7688]: host name not found: 0.ubnt.pool.ntp.org
Mar 14 11:20:13 jSecure wlb: group wan_failover, interface pppoe0 going Active
Mar 14 11:20:13 jSecure wan-event: [WAN Transition] pppoe0 to state active

And:

$ show interfaces
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface    IP Address                        S/L  Description
---------    ----------                        ---  -----------
eth0         -                                 u/u  WAN
eth1         192.168.1.1/24                    u/u  LAN
eth2         -                                 A/D
lo           127.0.0.1/8                       u/u
             ::1/128
pppoe0       118.208.XX.XX                     u/u

I try a similar config on the DM200

USG with WAN set to PPPoE -> DM200 modem only -> phone line to fibre in basement

The DM200 reports that DSL is linked, however, the USG simply doesn't bring up the PPPoE connection, the logs showing this:

Mar 14 10:48:06 jSecure zebra[753]: interface eth0 index 2 changed <UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,MULTICAST>.
Mar 14 10:48:06 jSecure kernel: eth0: 100 Mbps Full duplex, port 0
Mar 14 10:48:53 jSecure pppd[14927]: Timeout waiting for PADO packets

And interfaces:

$ show interfaces
Codes: S - State, L - Link, u - Up, D - Down, A - Admin Down
Interface    IP Address                        S/L  Description
---------    ----------                        ---  -----------
eth0         -                                 u/u  WAN
eth1         192.168.1.1/24                    u/u  LAN
eth2         -                                 A/D
lo           127.0.0.1/8                       u/u
             ::1/128

I have tried several other things, there doesn't seem to be many options to play with regarding the WAN setup on USG. I have updated the firmware on the DM200 to the latest firmware (V1.0.0.61)

My USG wan settings are:

Unifi USG WAN Settings

The DM200 when connected shows positive signs

DM200 Status

  • Update: I discovered that setting up the DM200 with PPPoE on that device worked quite well, the main thing I was missing was VLANID = 2. – silverdagger Mar 14 at 5:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.