1

TLDR

I want to change the language of the Windows 10 system I am using completely. This, surprisingly, is more difficult than expected and simply searching for Language in the settings and setting it to English does not work.

More detailed version below

More elaborate version I have set my language settings to English:

enter image description here

Rebooted, then I even checked with PowerShell, following this answer:

enter image description here

Following this answer, I viewed $list = Get-WinUserLanguageList. Then $list[0] returns the same thing as shown on the screenshot above, $list[1] returns nothing.

Still, some of the texts my Windows 10 displays are not in English:

enter image description here

How to change this, and have it in fully English? I do not want any other language left.


Originally, the system was installed in Hungarian. I am fairly sure about this, but not 100%.


In Settings, Country and region:

enter image description here


Following comments, I followed the Region settings to end up here:

enter image description here

I clicked on Change System Locale, were presented with this window:

enter image description here

Clicked on Apply. English was not selected originally, I find it in the drop-down menu and click OK:

enter image description here

Then were presented with this window:

enter image description here

I click Restart now. After restart, the things which were not in English (marked by red arrows) are still not in English.

Clicking Copy settings on the screenshot above, I get this:

enter image description here

Which is not great, Display language is still not English.

Tick the box in front of Welcome screen and system accounts, click OK, then presented with this widnow:

enter image description here

Click Restart now. After restart, those things marked by the red arrows are still not in English.

The Welcome screen and new user accounts settings window has changed, however:

enter image description here


Start menu cache solution

Clicking on Start menu, then writing Registry editor, I am led to this window:

enter image description here

Then find this file (using this):

enter image description here

Still following this site, step 4, I click on ResetCache, set Value data to 1:

enter image description here

Then click OK. No new window comes up, problem is still not fixed. Resart... Problem remains.

Following the link in the comments, I did the 5 steps outlined there. Problem remains.

After restart, problem remains.

New user account

If I create a new user account, and sign in with that one, the problem is solved.

If I log in to the original account, text marked by red arrows on the screenshot which describes the problem is unchanged, but I realize that if I click on them I can edit them:

enter image description here

(Gonna include screenshot about new user account in a min)

In the new user account, the same page looks like this:

enter image description here

Those things marked by red arrows in the screenshot above switched to English, that's good (now marked by green arrows). However, traces of the non-English language settings still appear, ie non-English alphabet (letter Á, Cs, É), names of applications in non-English ("Cetlik", "Csatolt telefon", "Diktafon").

I also did not manage to fix the original account to display everything in English (based on my most recent discovery that I can edit those titles the red arrows are pointing to in the first screenshot), I could edit them and give them an English name - this wouldn't probably solve the problem, just hide the symptoms.

This new account, where most of the things are English, seems usable, but I am curious how to switch completely.


Reflection on comments

Renaming applications would probably work, but I don't want to do it en masse. I am afraid it would only solve the problem superficially.

Changing keyboard layout to English did not work. Changing it to English, restarting: keyboard switched back to Hungarian (it is Hungarian layout physically), but the problems outlined above remain.

Using method 2 of this answer: I delete the identifier (0x0000040e). Restart machine, the identifier is still there.

enter image description here


Asked a very similar question here, after chaning my mind about its suitableness on stackoverflow.

New contributor
zabop is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.
  • Click on Change system locale and Copy Settings... and provide screenshots of both windows for us. I am looking to verify what this window looks like for you. Additionally, if you reset the start menu cache does it solve your problem? – Ramhound Mar 25 at 17:57
  • If you create a new user does the behavior still exhibit itself? – Ramhound Mar 25 at 18:55
  • No, problem is solved. Thanks! Should I keep this question, or is it not much useful for the community in its current form? – zabop Mar 25 at 19:10
  • I want to right an answer, your last comment, indicate what you tried last didn't work. It's not clear if your existing user is still not correct. – Ramhound Mar 25 at 19:10
  • 1
    I suspect the text is only created by Windows at the time of the user is created. Since you can edit the text you are asking about I see no reason you should not fix your original user. I will go ahead and suggested a solution shortly. – Ramhound Mar 25 at 20:16

Your Answer

zabop is a new contributor. Be nice, and check out our Code of Conduct.

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.