My PC sometimes randomly freezes (for good. restart always needed to use pc again). I don't know how to diagnose the problem.
- The screen freezes and then you can't do anything. Sometimes it freezes instantly and sometimes there is a lag spike, I can move the mouse very laggy on the screen for about 1-3 seconds and only then completely freezes.
- If there is any sound playing when the freeze happens the sound also "freezes", by playing one constant sound of what was being played at that point.
- Sometimes happens three times a day, and sometimes it doesn't happen for 2 weeks.
- It isn't tied to heavy load on any of the components (CPU, GPU, RAM). Sometimes it happens when I'm playing a game, sometimes when the PC is idle, sometimes when I'm just using the web browser.
- I recently reinstalled windows on the same machine. Problem persists.
- It has been happening for a long time now (a year maybe).
- OS: Windows 10 Educational
- CPU: Ryzen 5 1500X
- GPU: AMD R9 270 2GB
- MOTHERBOARD: MSI B350 GAMING PLUS
- RAM: 8GB
- SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB
My biggest suspect is the Samsung drive since it started happening about 3-5 months after I got it (bought a used one). It wasn't over 70% capacity at any point. I got really worried when OS reinstall didn't fix the problem at all. Recently I got a radiator for the drive since the controller got really hot sometimes. I thought that might be the problem but it also didn't change anything.
I'm not expecting to get one clear solution for the problem, but at least some help with diagnosing where the problem might be. And if it is possible to somehow force the crash (freeze) to identify what is at fault here.