I am trying to diagnose why my iPhone and Desktop - both right next to each other - experience such drastically different speeds when connected to Wi-Fi. As measured on fast.com, the phone averages about 190 Mbps, whereas the desktop is around 2.9 Mbps. The desktop (a Dell XPS 8700, circa 2015) has always felt slow, but this is the first time I've seriously looked into the problem.
I'd appreciate any pointers you guys may have. Here's what I've tried so far, but the issue persists, and I've reached the limits of my troubleshooting ability. (Edit) In response to a user comment, I have provided a screenshot of connection settings on the two machines, here.
- Assumed it was a measurement issue. Laptop (MS Surface) and phone (iPhone 8 - with cellular data disabled for good measure) both clock in around 190 Mbps. The issue is solely with the desktop
- Assumed it was a driver issue (the original adapter is a Dell Wireless 1703 - on the motherboard) so downloaded and updated from Dell website - no effect
- Assumed it was a weird Windows issue, so did a clean install of Windows 10 Pro (10.0.18362 Build 18362) and installed all Windows Updates - no effect
- Assumed it was a hardware issue, so bought and installed a TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Adapter, to replace the original adapter. Confirmed in adapter settings that the Dell 1703 is disabled, and the sole wireless connection enabled is the TP-Link - no effect
- (Edit) Assumed it might be something more broadly wrong with the motherboard, so connected the machine by Ethernet cable instead - excellent speeds [D: 300 Mbps / U: 290 Mbps / P: 3ms] but sadly impractical
- (Edit) In response to a suggestion from the comments, I tried Speedtest.net instead of Fast.com. At the time of editing, speeds are higher - but equivalent - on both tests. Speedtest gave [D: 15.09 Mbps / U: 16.30 Mbps / P: 5ms] while Fast gave [D: 15 Mbps / U: 15 Mbps / P: 6ms]
I have since run out of ideas...