I was trying to patch up my old unit before giving it to my younger brother, and found that it kept restarting, the cause of which I can't figure out.
- OS: Pop_OS 18.*
- MB: Gigabyte AM3+
- Processor: AMD FX-6300
- Video Card:Radeon R7 370
- Ram: Ripjaw 2x4GB
- HDD: WD Black caviar 2tb
- PSU: Corsair VS450
- Wifi Card:TP link WN781ND
Things I added to upgrade it:
- Ram: Kingston 1x8GB
- SSD: Gigabyte 480GB sata3
Steps I have done to diagnose the issue:
- Thought that it was the 8gb ram stick I added but even after removing it the issue persisted. I have also tried running each single stick on its own, same results.
- Ran memtests on them individually and together with no errors found.
- It also happens in safemode.
- Resetting my BIOS didn't help
- Bought the SSD since my second guess was that the HDD was failing after years of use.
- Clean formatted, fresh install.
- No errors showing up on POST
- Checked syslog and the usual logs, nothing found. No BSOD or any crash report.
It restarts randomly, sometimes it would start from the BIOS then restarts 3 or 4 times before its able to boot up the OS. Sometimes it would do a 'soft' restart where it wouldn't start from the bios but immediately from the OS(this one isn't a cycle unlike the reboot from the BIOS, it just restarts from the login screen every few minutes/hours, not sure).
- Reboots also when temp is low and activity is minimal. BIOS is set to prompt when temp reaches 70c
I'm thinking this could be a PSU issue but I'm not entirely sure how to check/monitor it if that were the case.