I use the
3.0.10 latest VLC Media player. I am not able to skip forward or backward using the shortcut keys(Alt+Right or Alt+Left). If I try the shortcut keys, this make the video to start from the beginning again.
I use the
- In VLC, open Tools | Prefernces.
- Click Show Settings | All.
- In the Advanced Preferences settings,select Interface | Hotkey settings.
- Scroll to Short backwards jump and Short forward jump, check the settings and test them.
- If for some reason you can't make them work with the defaults, AltLeft and AltRight, try using a different key combination.
I had to disable
Fast Seek in the
Input/Codecs -> Playback control section (or under
Codecs in simple mode) and restart VLC; otherwise, it would often fail to skip forward or backward.
If the VLC player version you are currently using automatically shoots back to the beginning of your video when you attempt to drag or fast-forward through it, try installing an earlier version. Just remember to uninstall your problematic version beforehand.
I had such issues when trying to fast-forward through .avi files so I installed my original VLC version 2.2.1 which has since always worked for me without such glitches.
CAUTION: prevent your functioning VLC version from automatically updating by clicking on Tools, Preferences, and UNCHECKING the box "Activate Updates Notifier".