I accidentally initiated a hard drive wipe on a Windows 10 partition and stopped the process as soon as I noticed (less than a second), but it was too late.
- This is a dual boot PC with separate Windows and Linux partitions, and I can still switch to my Ubuntu startup partition without issue.
When attempting to boot Windows, this is the sequence of what happens, along with my troubleshooting steps:
- "Preparing Automatic Repair" begins
- "Choose an option" screen is shown
- I first try "Continue", but nothing happens.
- I then choose: Troubleshoot > Reset this PC and keep my files
- Result: Cycles back to home "Choose an option" screen
- Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair
- Result: "Couldn't repair your PC", which lists the path to a log file, and a "Command Prompt" option (I wonder if this might be useful for troubleshooting?)
- Boot to a Windows InstallUSB > Install Now > Upgrade option is chosen
What are the next troubleshooting steps given the above?
Is it possible there is more I have to do before reinstalling Windows?