I have a laptop with an HDMI 1.4 output. I awaiting delivery of a monitor that may have a DVI-D input (the Ebay description said DVI-D in one place and HDMI in another). I need a cable to connect them.

My understanding is that DVI-D and HDMI ports are always female and that the video standards are the same. So am I right in thinking that I can buy any male-male cable/adapter advertised as either DVI-D to HDMI or HDMI to DVI-D?

For example, this AmazonBasics cable says that it "adapts a DVI-D output to an HDMI input", as though it is unidirectional. Is that just a misunderstanding or is it possibly correct?

The monitor probably doesn't have audio, so I am only worried about the video connection.


Yes, you can buy any adapter you like.

Cables and adapters (in this case) are passive, and just make electrical contact.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.