There seems to be a development option
enableNativeNotification that will enable system notifications in Microsoft teams. I unfortunately cannot try this myself, as the development preview needed to enable the option is not enabled for my organization.
Information taken from this Reddit post which provided these screenshots.
FWIW for anyone frustrated at the custom notifications, you can enable Native Notifications by throwing Teams into developer mode and then left clicking the Teams tray icon 7 times. Right clicking will then give you tons of options, including Hooks. From here, you can enable Native Notifications (defaults to false, so turn it to true) and voila, native notifications.
The steps seem to be:
- Enable the Public Developer Preview for Microsoft Teams
- Note: Developer preview is enabled on a per-client basis, but the option to turn on developer preview is controlled at the organization level.
- See the Answer below for a possible workaround if your org restricts access.
- Tap on your app icon 7 times to enable the dev tools:
- Windows: System Tray icon
- macOS: Dock icon
- Access the Developer Preview tools:
- Windows: Right-click the System Tray icon. Select
- macOS: select "Development" from the app's main menu bar. You can also edit the settings directly at
- Set the following options to
- Restart Microsoft Teams
If all goes well, Teams should then use the system's native notification system: