I try to split my hard drive to 3 partition by Windows tools, I have 385 GB free space on C drive but when I try to shrink it , only it allows 25 GB to be shrinked. windows report it is for unmoveable data on defrage alanyse. How can I split my partition or defrage the hard ?

also I try to use VHD instead of split hard drive but every time I restard windows I have to attach again VHDs, Can I use vhd as an alternative for regular partition?

best wishes Mehdi


Use the third party partitioning tool, Acronis or Paragon software have some good ones.


Paragon is cheaper http://www.paragon-software.com/home/pm-personal/eshop.html


and here is a Free one.


Note: be sure to back up important data before changing partitions, also make the rescue CD/DVD if the software has that feature (most do).


  • I'm pretty sure that the free EASEUS partition tool you mentioned will not work on Windows Server. – paradroid Apr 14 '11 at 10:35
  • The boot disc you can create will. You may have to install the program on another Windows PC and make the boot disc though. – Moab Apr 14 '11 at 14:48

You can use also free opensource GParted. It can work with NTFS partitions also.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.