I have a 1MB xlsx Excel spreadsheet which causes Excel to stop responding every other minute or so. Excel never crashes but it becomes unresponsive for a while (10 to 40 seconds). Any ideas what could be causing it?
This is what I have tried / thought of - to no avail:
- There are no external links (Data -> external links is greyed out)
- No macros nor any user-defined function
- I have tried 'open and repair' but the problem persisted; the log said "some parts of this workbook may have been repaired or discarded" which is the most unhelpful message ever - were they or were they not? If yes, which parts?
- There are no data tables and calculation is set to manual anyway.
- I have tried it on two PCs, both quite new and with 16GBs of RAM
- This doesn't happen with any other file
- It happens more frequently than the autosave interval of 10 mins but it happens even if I disable autosave altogether
- It doesn't use any add-ins; I have also disabled every add-in
- It's only 1 MB so it's definitely not a lot of data and the calculations are nothing fancy - mostly sums and multiplications.
- I can't find any errors in the formulas; I had thought maybe something like an xlookup, which my version of Excel doesn't support, was used, but it seems not.
Unfortunately I cannot share the actual file because of confidentiality etc.
I have tried it with Office Professional Plus 2019 - I don't have another version of Office to test it with.