I wanted to have a dual screen setup. The 2 monitors in my dual screen setup are as follows:
- My laptop's screen:
- My laptop's screen only has HDMI port. It is dell inspiron 15 5567 laptop. It has 15.6 '' full hd display.
- My old computer's monitor:
- My old computer monitor is getting power supply directly through the socket.
- It has a VGA port ONLY.
- It is hpw17e hp monitor.
- Hence, I bought a new HDMI-to-VGA Adapter.
The above image are the options that come when you press ⊞+P. I can do the first one and the last one, but not the second and third one. i.e I can watch my screen in my current laptop ONLY. And I can also watch my screen in my old monitor ONLY. But I can't extend or duplicate.
What happens when I click on extend or duplicate:
- When I click in extend, my laptop freezes. The another monitor would show "Input not supported".
- When I click in Duplicate, nothing happens. The another monitor would show "Input not supported".
Here are the conclusions that I have made so far:
Since old monitor works when chosen the option "second monitor only", that means the old monitor is fine(*No need to read this if you are in a hurry-:*I have also been using that old monitor since a long time, it is a good monitor. It was working 3 days ago. My old computer got dead so I thought that instead of wasting money on repairing it, I will just reuse the monitor. And hence bought a HDMI-VGA Adapter)
Also, the HDMI-to-VGA adapter is also working as it could transmit signal to the another monitor in 1 case.
Also my laptop is fine as it is working in 1 of the 4 cases. HDMI port is also fine due to similar reasons.
So, what is really the problem? I am totally overwhelmed by this. I thought setting this up would take me few minutes, but it has already taken me 6 hrs and it is still not settled down.
I also tried by choosing various resolutions in display settings of windows 10, still that didn't work.
I tried some working around. I went to advanced display settings and tested with different modes. i.e 1440*900 at 60 Hz..etc. One of the modes, worked. i.e now I can duplicate the screen. But duplicating the screen is also of not much use. I want to be able to extend the screen. It is still not working.