I regularly use the Ctrl+N hotkey to launch a new file explorer window, but this new window opens 'far' from the currently open explorer window. What I prefer is that the new window open exactly overlapping the current/prior window.
Whenever you open a new file explorer window (whether you use the shortcut/hotkey or not) it will always open with the last used window settings. So an easy way to do it is:
- Open a new file explorer window.
- Resize and position it however you prefer.
- Close the window (so the settings get saved as the last used settings).
- Open a new explorer window, and you should see it open exactly as the one you closed.
- If step 4 went well, use the hotkey/shortcut and it should work.
Open a new window, right click on taskbar and click on Cascade windows, now simply use hotkey/shortcut and the new window should be right on top.
Note: I'm on Windows 10 OS and it works, so you'll have to try.