How can I make and upload a torrent file?
1superuser is for computer hardware and software related questions only. This is considered off topic as defined by the site scope laid out in the FAQ.– Josh KJul 15, 2010 at 13:27
1You're probably best not asking here, this is like asking "How do I create a Word document." Better to visit one of the torrent help pages.– Josh KJul 15, 2010 at 13:28
7I don't see why this should be off-topic, the only problem I see is that @Rounak should try and formulate what he tried himself, before asking such a 'basic' task when wanting to torrent a file.– Ivo FlipseJul 15, 2010 at 14:52
uTorrent has a detailed explanation including every detail you should know to create and upload a torrent:
I'd like to point out the things you must consider beforehand:
Things to consider before making a torrent
- Before you make a torrent, it would be wise to pick a site and review its policies and rules, which can be found in their FAQ section.
- Your site of choice may have restrictions about content; some do not allow porn, some specialize in specific type of content (such as music, or anime).
- Your site of choice may also have some specific requirements about content and demand that you add some extras to your torrent such as signature files and ads.
- Some public sites require registration for uploading; all private sites do.
- It is important to consider the size of your content for two reasons: first, not everyone has sufficient disk space for very large torrents; and second, larger torrents require longer seeding times. In such cases consider making multiple torrents based on some practical partition such as years, season, parts.
- Before making your torrent, select your content's location carefully as it will have to remain there (during initial seeding at least).
- The files in your content must not be modified after you have made the torrent, as this would cause corruption in the torrent.
- Make sure the files are not in use while you make the torrent.
- There is no need to compress multiple files into one archive. Many torrenters find it annoying. It also requires twice the space: once for the original and once for the archive.
- You may wish to make a torrent for exclusive distribution among friends and family. In such case, you may choose to distribute your torrent in some other manner.
TorrentFreak: How to create a Torrent explains this in detail.
If you want to put your torrent online, go to the website and look for a place to upload the .torrent.
- First click on File. (in BitTorrent).
- Click on Create New Torrent.
- If you want to add a file, click on Add file and add the file you want. Clicking on add file will attach a single file.
- If You want to attach a folder, click on Add Directory.
- Note down the Trackers. You may need it.
- Click on Create and save as...
A torrent file will be saved. Open it and it will be uploaded.